Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have a maytag performa refrigerator model# pbb2255geb

Customer Question

I have a maytag performa refrigerator model# ***** yesterday it suddenly stopped working both the fridge and freezer. So far I've cleaned the coils with a vacuum, reset the breaker, unplugged the the fridge and let it sit for over an hour. The lights come on and it blows air in both compartments, it's just not getting cold....please let me know what I can do next without having to make a service call.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.

Hi, is the compressor on the lower back running? Is it hot or making any clicking and buzzing type noises?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's a fan sound, but not the louder sound that I was used to

Yes, so the compressor is not running. That's the issue. Either the start device on the side is bad or the timer/control is not sending power to the compressor. Test the start device for 110v with a volt meter. Test on the common and start side of the relay. You will need a volt/ohm meter to determine what is wrong with this machine. It's going to be one of the two things mentioned above. We work on the honor system here @ Just Answers. We're not credited for our work until you rate our answer positively. Once you do so the question does not close. You can log back into your account and continue to work on this question at no additional charge. Rating our answers positively will credit me for my time working with you. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't need a phone call I guess. I don't work in the appliance field so I don't really understand any of your last reply. I don't know where these areas is on the fridge or how to do what you said. If you're busy fine I'll move along, but I'd appreciate a little more help.

Hi, slide the unit forward and remove the lower back panel.

Let me know when you're done with that.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I have the back off, but my husbands friend has our voltmeter. I'll need to get ready and go buy another one. Is there anything I can check without it. I completely understand if there's not. I will message you once I have one in hand

Is the compressor hot or cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Compressor is cold, but I've had it unplugged since you told me to take off the back plate.

Plug it back in. Do you hear a click or buzz type noise?