Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have a Ge refrig side by side and the temp in the freezer

Customer Question

I have a Ge refrig side by side and the temp in the freezer keeps going up by 10 degrees and then comes back down and the back wall of the freezer is all frosty.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.

Hi, the defrost heater behind the back panel that's getting icy has failed. It's actually a very common issue on these units. If you're handy, you can make the repair yourself. The part is about $80.We work on the honor system here @ Just Answers. We're not credited for our work until you rate our answer positively. Once you do so the question does not close. You can log back into your account and continue to work on this question at no additional charge. Rating our answers positively will credit me for my time working with you. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the panel in the freezer and the evaporator was frozen solid, so I checked the defrost heater and it had 22 ohms of resistance and then I checked the defrost t-stat file it was frozen and it had continuity of .02 ohms so both were ok. I tested the thermistor and it had 15.8 ohms and then checked the wiring and sensors again but this time I did it at the motherboard and all three are ok. So I think the only thing left is the motherboard, what do you think?

Wow! I would say yes! The motherboard is the last thing left. Awesome work testing the defrost components and pin pointing the problem. We work on the honor system here @ Just Answers. We're not credited for our work until you rate our answer positively. Once you do so the question does not close. You can log back into your account and continue to work on this question at no additional charge. Rating our answers positively will credit me for my time working with you. Thank you