Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My refrigerator is not making ice. It appears that water is

Customer Question

My refrigerator is not making ice. It appears that water is not getting into the icemaker. Model Number MF 12568AES, Serial Number 11864812LC
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Joel thank you for your interest in our service. If you have been waiting a while

I apologize we try to help as many customers as possible in a timely manner. I am now

available to help you with your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube above the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. You can also make sure it's not frozen by disconnect the water line coming from the icemaker and going to the valve at the valve. Blow through the water line to make sure it's clear. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

As for removing the icemaker if needed, the icemaker comes out with the entire back assembly. There is a trim cover along the bottom left edge of the ice enclosure that hides the wiring harness which you need to remove. There is a slot which you must stick an eyeglass screwdriver into and pry to release the locking tab behind it. Attached is a picture of where to pry. Once you remove the cover you just unplug the wire harness and pull the icemaker with the entire back assembly forward and out of the ice compartment. That is when you'll have access to the fill tube if you need to thaw it, or you can replace the icemaker if you need to replace the icemaker.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I have also sent you a phone call option which you can close if you'd rather not speak by phone but the option is there if you'd like.