Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a maytag centennial model # MVWC450XW4 and it is not

Customer Question

Hi I have a maytag centennial model # ***** and it is not draining and spinning. A few weeks ago I could switch it to drain and spin and it would work. Now, that doesn't work either. You can't see any water in the tub, but the clothes are still really wet.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in repsonses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

More than likely the mode actuator has gone bad. Typically the two parts that cause this are the actuator or capacitor.

Here are the two part numbers you may want to replace both as they both fail very often

W10390446

W10006355

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ummm. Is this the answer I just paid for?

Were you looking for something different?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh. I saw the second response. I was sort of hoping for answer that included some tips on how to replace the parts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it more likely to be the actuator or the capacitor? The actuator looks very easy to replace

If it agitates more than likely the mode shifter, they are actually both easy to replace the capacitor is just held in by a single 5/16 screw. I would advise changing it out as well, they had fires with the old ones and the new capacitor is metal..much better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I found a videos on the actuator, but not on the capacitor

If you tip the machine up just remove the plastic belt shroud like in the actuator video then you will see just one screw to dismount the capacitor and unplug it, the plug only goes in one way as well.