Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Freezer is not freezing

Customer Question

Freezer is not freezing
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

When you removed the lower back panel, what do the silver coils look like behind that panel? Are the packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was only a chunk of ice around the control area to the upper left (where the wires are). So no frost at all on the big finned coil thing. The little fan at the top center is running.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so that means you have a freon leak or the compressor is inefficient. You'd need a technician to tap into the sealed system to see if you have a freon leak or need a new compressor. A freon leak would cost about $450 to have repaired and a new compressor would be about $650 so unfortunately these are very expensive repairs and may not be worth fixing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok... The compressor does not seem to be working as it makes no noise when turned on or plugged in.... Is there a way to bypass a switch or something to make it run? The freezer is 14 months old and froze fine until this week.
It's far cheaper to buy another freezer then have one of those repairs.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You can not bypass it unfortunately, you would need a new compressor or a new freezer I'm sorry to say.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for your time.
With only that short question/answer I'll keep googling.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK well, that's up to you but it doesn't change what has failed on your appliance. Sometimes unplugging the unit for a few hours will let the compressor cool down and start working again, but the issue will come back in a few weeks or days and for a freezer that isn't good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That may very well be the correct answer but after one question it sure seems like a pretty fruitless expense I just inquired.
Good day.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

To call a technician out to tell you the exact same thing would cost you a lot more time and about $100--I'd say you saved yourself a lot of time and money.