Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Kenmore Elite Trio refrigerator/freezer model.802.

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Elite Trio refrigerator/freezer model(###) ###-####.802. It makes an annoying beeping sound about once per second when the compressor is running. Still continues if you open the door. I can't identify any problem that it serves as an alarm for. Is there a way to silence it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The alarm sounds for two reasons.

• Temperatures too high in any section
  • Door left open

If the temperatures are good and the doors are closing easily and securely, the electronic control may be having issues. Unplug the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to reset the electronics. Any change when plugged back in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Kelly: As previously reported, lowering the freezer and refrigerator temp settings to -1 and 36 degrees respectively did not eliminate the beeping, so I then tried unplugging the refrigerator for over 2 hours. When plugging back in, it seemed quiet except for some fans running and an ice cube harvest cycle. I have to believe that after being without power for 2 hours,the compressor had to be running (unless it went into a defrost cycle) when I plugged it back in. I may be wrong, but I don't think the door-ajar alarm uses the same sounder as this noise does because it has a different pitch, duration interval and volume.
If we can't identify the root cause of this annoying behavior --- and it doesn't seem to be warning of anything useful ( the frig is operating normally in all other respects), is there anyway of identifying the sounder or piezo and disabling it, like cutting a wire leading to it or even covering with masking tape to muffle the sound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure that I made it clear in the above statement that after plugging it back in, it seemed quiet for about an hour, then I was aware that the beeping was back. I don't want to just throw expensive parts at it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If the temperatures are good and the doors are securely closing and you still have beeping, I believe the electronic control has issues. Taping or removing the buzzer would not be recommended.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Granted the electronic control likely has issues, but the only thing it's doing that affects me is the annoying beeping --- every other function of the refrigerator is working fine. I'm guessing that replacing the control module probably costs hundreds of dollars, with no guarantee that if will fix the problem. I'm trying to avoid that expense just to silence a false alarm. My experience with electronic buzzers is that they emit their sound through a little pinhole of an opening and if you put a tiny dot of masking tape over the hole, if muffles the sound. I just need to know how to find the buzzer. Since it's advisable to unplug the refrigerator if I open any control panels, I can't just open it and probe with a stethoscope. I just need to know where it is located. What do you suggest and what would it cost if I were to replace the module?