Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have oven model RBS305PRS00. Yesterday I was going to auto

Customer Question

I have oven model RBS305PRS00. Yesterday I was going to auto clean my oven, I pushed the button, set the time and pushed start. But when I closed the door, it was telling me that the door was still open. I canceled it out and tried it again, same thing. So I tried setting it to bake and it still was telling me the door was open. So, I started looking around and I think the lock latch is stuck in the lock position and its preventing the door from closing all the way. I can hear the metal lock hitting the door. I can't figure out how to get it to go back in!! Everything I have googled says to reset it for cleaning, but it won't ever let me "set" it bc it just says DOOR!!!! HELP!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Open the door and look at the door latch. There is a hook which latches the door and then there is another push lever that tells the oven the door is shut. You need to tape the door push lever shut so the oven thinks the door is shut. Then flip the circuit breaker off to the oven for 60 seconds and flip it back on. The latch should reset as long as the latch didn't fail. If it doesn't work, you need a new door latch.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so there's 2 metal things that make the latch. The left one is bigger than the right. I'm assuming that's the one that kicks the door. The smaller one on the right does push in a little, but isn't going totally in. Is that the shut/open lever? They both look "hook"ish!!!!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

It's all part of one metal piece with 2 hooks but one side should move when you push it, the smaller hook. If not then that would explain why the latch isn't working and it needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I hit this call button and talk to you over the phone?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If you'd like yes, but there is an addition $18 charge for phone calls.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, we held it in, turned off the breaker for 1 minute, and then turned it back on. Still not working. Another thing, when you shut the oven door, it sounds like that latch is catching and not allowing it to close or something. How is that even possible all of the sudden. What moved that into that position? How does the latch even move into a position at all? What moves it electronically? This is my wife's phone and I'm I just got involved so your talking to the husband now by the way...LOL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just wondering if there's another control point to make this reset
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

There is a motor on the back side of the latch hooks which rotate the locking hook into position. It sounds like your latch is just failing so below is a link to the part you need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE for latch

There is no other reset. But the latch usually only gives you an error when you try to self clean since that is the only time it's used which means it's about the only time it can fail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume that when my wife put this in self clean mode, it malfunctioned. Because that's when this all happened I think.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that would be probably a pretty good assumption.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No problem. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.