Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

We have a Kitchenaid dishwasher that is not draining

Customer Question

Hello. We have a Kitchenaid dishwasher that is not draining correctly. I have cleaned out the interior mechanisms and there does not appear to be anything blocking the water from reaching the pump. I've cleaned out the small grinder. Little to be removed
there. I did find some bacon grease in the drain well and in the far distal end of the drain where it enters the garbag disposal. It drains normally if I run a manual drain cycle. This is a model kuds30ixss4 What do you suggest?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

DO you have the complete model number off the unit, also how much water does it leave and does it fully drain when cancelling the cycle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The full model number is ***** the initial question above.It does not drain completely when I run the cancel/drain cycle. If I run that twice it is empty.There is water covering the majority of the bottom of the dishe washer immediately after we run it. I can't say how much based on volume but it often covers the entire bottom of the unit.

Does the drain line go to a siphon gap by the sink? If so take the cap off the siphon gap and remove the top center piece of the siphon gap and check for debris, that is the most likely issue. Let me know.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a gap by the sink. I actually replaced it earlier in the diagnostics and cleaning process. I will check it when I get home.
Based on the bacon grease that I discovered in the built in grinder well and the grease that I removed from the far distal end of the drain tube, I suspect that the drain line that from the soft clamp section out may be occluded with grease. I have not remove the unit to inspect it yet.

Check the line that goes from the siphon gap to the trap. You have a partial blockage for sure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to make sure let me clarify which segment of line you mean here. Sorry, I'm not clear based on the description.
Am I checking the section of tube that runs form the siphon gap to the garbage disposal or the section that runs from the washer to the siphon gap?
Thanks!

I would check them both. First take the center piece out of the siphon gap to check that for blockages and then remove the larger line that runs from the siphon gap to the trap for blockages. If both of those are clear then the drain hose from the dishwasher to the siphon gap could be plugged, you could take that off as well and see how fast water drains into a bucket to see if that could be the issue. I would do that last though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Thank you!Let me ask you for your thoughts on this. My plumber suggested some time ago that I could bypass the siphon gap and run the drain straight to the garbage disposal. He said functionally the garbage disposal would function as a siphon gap.What do you think of making this change?
Thank you,

John I highly suggest you make that change, less problems no clogging they should all go to the disposal in my opinion if you have one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I swapped the drain hose to bypass the symphony gap and run straight to to the garbage disposal. It still does not drain correctly. I checked the flow out into the garbage disposal. It is pumping out water but very little. There is not much flow.I will replace the line from the dishwasher tomorrow.John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just received a request to rate this. As I've not fixed the issue yet, the dishwasher isn't draining properly, I'd suggest that we're not quite done yet.
I will work on replacing the hose segment that runs from the dishwasher today. I anticipate that the blockage is somewhere here as not other changes have had an impact to date.
The other potential issue is the pump itself. Its possible that there is something in the impeller.What are your thoughts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention, when I run a cancel/drain on this unit, you can hear the pump run and water does drain. Its just not draining completely nor does it move water very fast. Its a trickle at the exit end of the hose.

The drain line to the pump may be clogged up then