Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Jenn-Air Range/Oven, natural gas, about 9 yrs old, Model

Customer Question

Jenn-Air Range/Oven, natural gas, about 9 yrs old, Model JGS8850BDS MAYTAG APPLIANCES. Oven lights and cooks correctly. However, when lighting there is a large amount of unburned or partially burned gas that escapes the oven. Worsening over time. What is the cause and the fix? Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

hello , does it take longer to cook , and initially to preheat?thx randy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does not take longer to cook and to preheat. The temp rises during heating at a reasonable clip. We had a local gas company field rep come out and disassemble the heating plenum area, blow it out with air and check the ignitor and gas flow. All registered fine. His explanation was that a little bit of unburned gas upon ignition is ok, but not the amount we get. His suggestion: oven valve and pressure regulator replacement. I'm wondering whether one or both of these needed, or maybe replacing them does not address the issue. Remember the oven is almost 10 years old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Randy-
Any thoughts on the issue or how to fix it?
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Are you smelling raw gas and did this just start happening?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oven lights and cooks correctly. However, when lighting there is a large amount of unburned or partially burned gas that escapes the oven. Worsening over time. Let me be more specific: there is a smell of gas for about 20-30 seconds after the oven actually ignites. This dissipates and there is never a chance of explosion, but it's uncomfortable and burns the eyes. This has not just started happening. It has probably been the case for 2-3 years. However, the amount of unburned or partially burned gas has seemingly increased in the last months. Again let me be specific: we had the lower burner area opened up, viewed and cleaned (with air) and there is no apparent blockage of the plenum. Thank you.

How long from the time you turn it on until you get a flame?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Time from turn on until flame: under 10 seconds. I can't recall if there seemed to be a lack of synch between the igniter hitting its proper temp and the gas being released. However, the field rep from the Gas Co watched it ignite and did not have concern that the function was improper.

If it is under 10 seconds that is way too fast and would be the issue are you sure it is that fast?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies!! I turned it on and timed it: the gas is released and the flame comes on at exactly 45 seconds. At that time we do hear the flames burning, but the unburned gas odor also fills the oven and comes out the top vent, lingering for maybe a minute or so before it dissipates.

Have you replaced the ignitor? It sounds like it my be weak and not opening the valve all the way. This would explain the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not replaced the ignitor. If it's the element that gets red hot before gas released, we saw that it was red when the oven was disassembled. But if it's the electronics behind the ignitor that opens the valve, please clarify for me. It certainly could be that assembly.

The ignitor is what actually opens the gas valve, I would replace that and I think that will fix the whole issue