John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Our Kenmore front load dryer is not drying. lint vent is

Customer Question

our Kenmore front load dryer is not drying. lint vent is clear and so is the exhaust vent . the cooling light is on and the drying light is flashing doesn't matter the cycle selected
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alex Herbert replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Alex. I will be happy to answer your question. Please get me the complete model number directly from the dryer. There should be 3 numbers before the model number you gave me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
796 81172210
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any suggestions

On LG dryers (made by LG for Kenmore) it is normal for the light to flash to show you what the dryer is doing. So the flashing drying light indicates the dryer is drying. The cool down light on steady means the dryer will start cool down once it is done drying. Is the dryer heating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the dryer is not heating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello

Is your dryer gas or electric?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
electric

Make sure the house circuit breaker is not tripped. Basically the controls work on 110 volts and the heat works on 240. So the dryer can run but not heat if one of the breakers is tripped. Turn the house panell breaker for the dryer off and back on and see if the dryer heats.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reflipped the breaker it didn't look like it was tripped how long should it take for the dryer to heat up start blowing hot air

If you run the dyer for about a minute open the door and reach inside you should feel some heat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been running it for around 5 minutes and no heat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could a wire off the back have come loose off the 220 plug in

MAKE SURE THE DRYER IS UNPLUGGED FROM THE ELECTRICAL WALL OUTLET BEFORE TAKING IT APART. Here is a link that shows you how to take apart your dryer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvbJn61d9hQ The element is located on the right bottom. Check the thermal fuses on the element with an ohms meter. There should be a reading. Also test from one element terminals to the other you should also get a reading. Test each element terminal to ground. There should NOT be a reading. Disconnect the wires at the element and fuses before testing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this were the plug in attaches or something totally different

I assume you mean the wires that plug into the element and thermal fuses. The connectors are standard push on wire connectors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was meaning the wires for the 220 plug if the heating element is out what would be your best guess on the cost of replacing them the dryer is maybe a year old

If the dryer is less than a year old, it may be under warranty. A service company would charge around $301.00 for parts and labor. This varies by location. The element assembly with the fuses runs about $85.00. The issue is most likely the element or thermal fuse. I have to go to Sears to get you the exact part number. Their site is down right now. I can get you the exact part number tomorrow.

As far as your plug question this is something totally different. The video should help you out a lot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvbJn61d9hQ

Here is the part number for the heating element 5301EL1001H. This element costs about $125.00.

Please rate my service by using the star rating system at the top of the page. This is how I am credited for my time. If you have any additional questions about this issue, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. Have a great day.