Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have Whirlpool LE9480xwwo Electric dryer that will not

Customer Question

I have Whirlpool LE9480xwwo Electric dryer that will not start. The 220 line is hot and I think both the door switch and start switch work. At least the start switch engages when the door switch is on (door closed)
, and disengages when it is off (open).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Is the dryer not starting or what trouble are you having with it, please? Does the start switch seem to "stick in" when it is pressed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dryer (motor) does not start. The start switch does not stick. It seems to engage properly. I disassembled the back and observed that it apparently engages properly - a contact, possibly magnetic, stays engaged until the door is opened, then it releases.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! If you remove the lower back panel, you will see a rectangular white plastic thermal fuse mounted right near where the air comes out. Can you test that part for continuity or remove the wires from it and tape them together and see if the dryer starts, please? The fuse is shown as number 7 in the picture at the link below. Let me know what you find, please.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I believe there is continuity. Is it the long narrow white thing (2" X .5")?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Yes, does it show continuity through it (with the wires removed)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested with multimeter and taped the wires together. The multimeter showed continuity with wires removed and no joy when wires were taped.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Are you comfortable measuring live voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not terribly proficient with the multimeter, but can probably muddle through.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Can you put those wires back on the fuse and then, with the dryer plugged in, measure the voltage from one of the fuse wires to ground (any part of the case) while pressing the start button, looking for 120 VAC, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
120 to both wires on the fuse. 240 to the wall
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I suspect the timer is faulty. You can remove the timer from its mount and there are two screws on the front that will allow the metal shaft and cam to be gently pulled out to allow inspection of the contacts inside. I believe you will find a set of contacts that are badly burnt inside. Make sure you unplug the dryer if you remove the timer. Or, the timer is available below.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me pull it and look
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You bet, be gentle when pulling it apart in case it needs to go back together.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't pull it, but don't think that is the problem (feel free to disagree). Reasons:
1. all contacts are solid and clean. No corrosion or burn marks anywhere
2. when I leave the dryer pugged in, and the timer set, it progresses to an off position. This is the same as when it worked. That is, if it wasn't started, the timer continued to progress, even if the motor was disengaged, say I opened the door but never pressed start (cause I emptied it).