John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I live off grid and use a propane refrigerator which no

Customer Question

I live off grid and use a propane refrigerator which no longer works. The sticker says "Made in Sweden", and Manufactured for Dometic, Model # ***** Product # ***** 17 20-08, Serial # ***** 00081, Equipped for LP Gas. This unit also runs on 120V. I have
followed the instructions and set the thermostat to 4 to start, can light the unit, and a fair amount of heat is given off such that the exhaust pipe gets hot, but neither the freezer nor the refrigerator gets cold (or cool) even after several hours. This
is on a remote ranch, so getting a repair person here is not practical. I am handy and equipped with tools, and can frequently figure things out, but this is puzzling. I have taken compressed air and blown out the flue etc., and there are no loose wires or
fittings that I can see. Can you tell me what is possibly wrong, and suggest something to do to fix this, or some test that I can do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. As you might imagine all I can do is give you some advice and tell you a bit of the theory of how it works so you can figure it out. The refrigerator does not cool while the burner is on. During the burner on time the heat evaporates the refrigerant gas and it goes into the freezer coils and condenses into liquid again. When the burner shuts off and the burner area cools, the liquid in the freezer coils evaporates and absorbs heat causing the coil to frost. This cycle repeats. If you have lost refrigerant it wont cool. Does the burner ever cycle off?