John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Dacor Grill EOG303. Igniters keep sparking after all flames

Customer Question

Dacor Grill EOG303. Igniters keep sparking after all flames are lit, 2 burners and IR. I replaced the 2 spark electrodes for the burners and the spark module. No improvement.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alex Herbert replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Alex. I will be happy to answer your question. Make sure the electrical plug polarity is correct. Make sure the hot leg from the outlet is going to the intended hot leg of the BBQ. Make sure the BBQ is properly grounded and there is a good ground supplied from the electrical outlet. Make sure the BBQ burners are clean. The flame must touch the spark electrode and have a good ground in order to send a signal to the spark module to shut the spark off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had an electrician stop by and everything is good on the electrical side. The burners look fairly clean but I ordered new ones since the grill is 10 years old. I should have them in the next day or 2. The flame is definitely touching the electrodes.

Make sure the burners have a good connection to ground underneath them such as no rust or debris.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a big surprise, but the new burners didn't cure the problem, but they sure look nice and put out a better flame than before. The only thing I haven't replaced is the IR spark electrode and wire for the rotisserie. It seems to spark just fine so I've been dragging my feet on that. Looks like that would require taking the canopy off and who knows what else to get to all of that.This grill has three different controls, one for each burner. When I turn one burner on, all three igniters spark. Is that normal?

When one sparks they all will spark, this is normal. Here is something else to check. If it still sparks when the flame is lit, make sure you have the correct wire on the correct electrode. For example if the one meant for #1 is on #2, #1 would only stop sparking when #2 is lit. Make sure the wiring is correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If all burners are turned on, and all burning, and they all still spark, does that matter.