John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Whirlpool gold series WDT710PAYM. Has worked fine

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool gold series WDT710PAYM. Has worked fine since installed several years ago, then in the last 3 or so days there is standing water in the bottom of the tub. Water smells like detergent not sewage. Drain hose is empty.
Wash cycle seems to run okay and dishes are clean, but still standing water in tub after cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alex Herbert replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Alex. I will be happy to answer your question. If you have a air gap that the drain hoes hooks into on the sink, make sure the air gap is not plugged. Here is a test you can do. Make sure the dishwasher is full of water. Disconnect the drain hose from were it drains to not from the dishwasher. Make sure the drain hose is hooked up to the dishwasher. Get a bucket and hold the drain hose about 3 feet above the bucket and turn on the dishwasher. Of you have a strong flow the issue is not with the dishwasher. If the flow is weak, check for obstructions inside the sump. Of nothing is blocking the water flow the drain pump is bad.