Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Frigidaire side by side, model FRS26HF5A. The

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire side by side, model FRS26HF5A. The fridge side is too cold and freezing items. How do i know if it is the thermostat, defrost thermostat or damper that is the problem. I had a company look at it and they said the damper and the thermostat. I wasn't there to see how they diagnosed it but thought it odd that it would be multiple items.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

They are replacing both parts just to make sure that the problem is fixed since these are the only 2 parts that can cause your problem. As for how to diagnose between the two, you'll need to remove the thermostat and test continuity between the 2 terminals on the thermostat for the refrigerator. If you have continuity through the thermostat while the unit is too cold, then the thermostat is bad. If you don't have continuity, then the damper isn't closing and you need to replace the damper.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so thet didn't fully diagnose the issue. So would it be the defrost thermostat or the regular the thermostat? On partselect.com it suggested it was almost always the defrost thermostat but repairclinic.com it suggested a different thermostat for the fridge cold. One is a $12 part and the other $200. The confusing thing is neither site listed the other part as even a possible cause for the issue.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If you had a defrost issue, the evaporator behind the back panel inside the freezer would be completely packed with frost and the refrigerator would be too warm, not too cold. Your issue would be the operating thermostat the $200 part apparently.