Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

After cleaning a major spill in my fridge the other day

Customer Question

After cleaning a major spill in my fridge the other day (meaning the doors were open for a while and it got warm), the fridge is not cooling down to an appropriate temperature
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

My name is Chas, can you tell me what the temps are now? Also do you have the complete model number of the unit we are talking about?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The temp is 55.
LFX29945ST
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

And it is holding constant at this temp or is still dropping?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. I only recently put the thermometer in. Everything was working fine until I cleaned it in Tuesday night. There is frost on the top section of the freezer compartment if that is relevant info
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Can you hear fan motor running inside the freezer compartment when you open the freezer door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can hear fans running
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I think because you had the doors open for so long, that the air vent from the freezer to the fridge section has built up an excessive amount of frost, and therefore is blocking airflow to the fridge section, I recommend that you turn off the unit, by unplugging it if possible, and open the doors and wait about 2 hours, then plug the unit in again and see what happens, this is a common problem when the door is left open for an excessive amount of time... Let me know what happens, it may take up to 24 hours to see if the temps go down to normal..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no way to clear that vent without emptying everything?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Not really, the venting is located behind the rear panel of the freezer and would take you almost 2 hours to remove everything to get to it, so just unplugging it and leaving the doors open for a few hours would be the easiest method to use...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The freezer is back to correct temp, but the fridge is still warm. Should I just be patient?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

You need to give it overnight to make sure, first the freezer should get to temp then the fresh food section, keep monitoring the fresh food section. Also did you unplug the unit or just turn it off from the control panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged it for about 2 1/2 hours. And cleaned the vents in the back since I was there. There was water in the bottom of the freezer section after the unplugged time, indicating to me that there was something frozen that had melted
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Then wait until tomorrow to see what the fresh food temps are, it should be normal by then most likely.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

What are the temps today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The temperature is the same. The refrigerator is not cooling.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Then you may not have got all the frost/ice out of the venting system, SO the temps are still at 55 in the fresh food section?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The temp is 65
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

What is the temps in the freezer section?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Can you feel any air coming out of the vents in the fresh food section?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

And you say the fan is running inside the freezer compartment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can hear a fan running, I cannot say with certainty where it is running. There is cold air blowing into the freezer
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Then you still have a blockage of frost and or ice in the venting system, Ho wlong did you have the doors open when you were cleaning up the mess?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They weren't consistently open, just opened a closed a lot over the course of an hour.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Weird, There is not much else, there has to be frost or ice still blocking the venting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well the fridge was plenty warm for over 2 and a half hours. I can't imagine there was any ice left.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Normally I would say you are correct in that assumption, However it does not take long to build up 2 inches of frost in the venting system which would be the what could still have up there. At the present time I only could recommend defrosting it for another 2 to 3 hours and see what is happening,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never heard anything else. Very disatisfied with this service.