Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore dishwasher water is leaking from around the

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore dishwasher(###) ###-####
water is leaking from around the pump. I removed the pump assembly, plugged the openings and no leaks.The solenoid activated flap looks bad and when I blow or suck on it, it is no tight at all. My guess is that this has something to do with the problem but I would think the water would just recirculate but maybe it is just building up pressure and leaking around a hose. Your thoughts??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Make sure the hoses going to the pump are secure and try to tighten up the clamps. If it continues to leak, you just need to replace the pump assembly which will look really different because it has been re-designed due to the pump leaking through the bearings over time. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for pump

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already figured out that basic approach on my own and did that before contacting you folk. My question was about the compromised gate valve creating any problems. My assumption is that the gate valve only opens to drain drain the sump and if the valve is leaking the only effect would be an inefficient wash cycle.
Phil
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

That gate valve just changes the flow of water from going through the drain or recirculating the water for washing. It does not cause a leak if it's not sealing up properly when it's activated or whatnot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tyler,The problem turned out to be the gate valve shaft seal that was leaking. This is a $9 part including shipping, a lot less than replacing the entire assembly for $150 that you recommended. Since you advertise 100% satisfaction I do not feel your advise was worth $30 so I assume you will not charge my credit card.
Thanks, Phil