Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have a Sears Kenmore gas range model 790.760. The oven

Customer Question

We have a Sears Kenmore gas range model 790.760. The oven will not turn on. Surface burners okay. Clock is set. Range has not moved in four years, so it seems unlikely that regulator valve is off. When I set bake/temp, I hear a click in the back panel but no ignition clicking under oven compartment, nor any gas flow. Does this sound like an igniter problem to you?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The click you are hearing is the relay closing to power the igniter for the oven burner. This model uses a hot surface style igniter, it will not click but simply get red hot. As they age, the igniters get weak and, even though they may be red, they draw too little current to open the gas valve. This is the most common failure for this style of range. I believe the igniter will need to be replaced. You can test the voltage to the igniter and use an ammeter to measure the current draw, looking for 120 VAC and at least 3.2 amps. If you have no meters, I would simply replace the igniter, available below.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!