Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My 8 yr old AMANA front load washing machine door will not

Customer Question

My 8 yr old AMANA front load washing machine door will not unlock . Initially, it had 'nd' error code, I checked the drain tubing, then replaced the drain pump, and it worked for a couple of loads of laundry, providing that I went thru the "reset" ( unplug machine 1 min, then replug, open & close door 6 x < 12 second ) NOW, I just have wet clothes stuck inside the machine ....and no amount of unplug/ plug seems to release the door lock! Can you help, please?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So to start, you'll need to manually unlock the door. If the tub won't drain, it sounds like your control board relay failed which is very common on this model and causes the nd error to appear for the washer not draining. The entire control board would need to be replaced to resolve that issue.

As for how to unlock the door, you need to pull the oven forward and remove the screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off. There is a plastic tab hanging from the bottom of the latch assembly. You need to unplug the washer and pull down on that plastic tab to manually unlock the door.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First of all, this is NOT AN OVEN (as your instructions refer)I have removed the back panel previously, and believe that you are mistaken regarding a "pull tab"So....this response does not help me at ALL.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I used the wrong word. I understand it's not an over. The instructions are for your specific washer. Ignore the word "oven and just follow my advice if you want to solve your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This rating would be a ZERO. Absolutely no help at all, as I previously stated. No value whatsoever.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

I am a different tech do you still need help?