Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Frigidaire built in gas range model #: FFGS3025LWE.

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire built in gas range model #: FFGS3025LWE. I am unable to fry meatballs - they don't brown; Cannot boil water - at least on the top of the pot. The flame is all the way around. Yes I am frying the meatballs and boiling the water on the 15,000 btu burner. Yes I have cooked for over 30 years on other gas ranges with no issues. I have tried different pots and pans, different cooking oils. Nothing. Instead of meatballs, I get cooked (not browned) chopped meat in the pan. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Does the flame appear too low? Has the range been converted to LP?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The flame does not appear too low. What does LP stand for? Also, it is brand new. I purchased it and it was installed last year when I renovated my kitchen. I haven't used it until now. Getting ready for Christmas at my apartment.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

LP is propane. You are probably using natural gas if you are in an apartment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no propane.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If the flame is not low, it sounds like the output is okay. The largest burner is 14,000 BTU, so it should not have an issue browning or boiling. Is it more than a year old?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
however, NEVER USED until this October.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The manufacturer does not consider that, they only go by purchase date, unfortunately. Are you able to post a picture of the flame when you have a pot on top of it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work so not able to provide a picture at this time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been cooking for over 30 years. I have never encountered anything like this.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Okay, just reply when you can, seeing the flame would be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have three pictures. Do you have an e-mail address I may forward them to?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You can upload them to this site, just use the paper clip icon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the pictures as attachments in an e-mail to myself. They are not saved for me to upload. Isn't there an e-mail address I may forward them to?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You can send them to***@******.*** and just make sure you put for Kelly in Appliance Category, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just sent there. Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. As quickly as they forward them to me, I will post back, thanks again.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I received the pictures, thank you. The flame appears to be fine and burning well. However, it is hard to tell from the pictures, but the grates look to be keeping the pan too high above the flame. There appears to be quite a distance between the flame and the pan bottom. Is this the case, do you think?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That could be the case which would explain a lot. I have never had this type of gas range before. What would I be able to do about it?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I looked at the replacement grates but can't tell if there is a difference in the height. See the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called Repair Clinic AND Frigidaire - both do not have the dimensions of this part or the other it replaced (I thought perhaps the replacement was lower in height). My only thought is to go to PC Richards with a tape measure, and if they are still selling this gas range, see how high the grill is on that one. Your thoughts?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I suspect that will be about the only way to find out. I think that is the issue, though. There is too much space between the pan and the flame to get a good temperature for browning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If that were the case, wouldn't Frigidaire have recalled the grates? I couldn't be the only one with this problem. Do you think the flame isn't high enough?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The flame does not appear to be high enough from what I can see. It may be that the gas pressure is too low or the orifice is too small for that burner.