John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My (top loading) washer was not in use after I had run a

Customer Question

My (top loading) washer was not in use after I had run a load of sheets. Since then my lid has locked with no clothes or water in the tub and I can't get it unlocked. I tried the 3 second trick with no success. I unplugged the washer hoping to trick it into unlocking with no success. What should I do to unlock it?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention the washer and dryer are brand new. This is my second time using them
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Kevin. I have just looked at a few things online about whirlpool and Kenmore, and the results were not very promising.

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

You said they are brand new, only used them twice.... In what time frame are you talking? a week or two?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 weeks
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

What I am seeing is that it is a common problem. I would highly suggest calling the warranty department on this since it should be covered under warranty. Anything you try to deal with without first contacting warranty may in fact void your warranty.

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

the actual locking switch is one issue and the control board is the other... both can be rather expensive, and in some cases, difficult to change.

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

do you know the model # ***** the washer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get under the lid to get the model #. I just called a friend of mine who is a Whirlpool service technician. He's coming out tomorrow to fix it. I hope you don't charge me for this as you couldn't help me.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

I'm happy to hear that. I hope all goes well for you. There may be a manual release, but like I stated above, if it's only two weeks old, you don't want this problem to come back in a month or two or worse case, as soon as the warranty runs out..... Good luck, and have a great day Debi.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got off the phone with Whirlpool corp and she suggested plugging it back in which I did. The washer unlocked. If anyone else has this problem tell them to unplug and wait a full minute or longer and plug it back in. That resets it.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

That is good that you got that open, but I thought you stated above that you tried that and it did not work, did I miss understand you?