Alex Herbert
Alex Herbert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Technician
89986336

We hooked up the ice maker on our bottom freezer

Customer Question

We hooked up the ice maker on our bottom freezer refrigerator. Turned the water on, found no leaks. I could hear water running, opened the freezer door and found a flood coming from the ice maker. Tried every thing to stop water from running all over the floor, finally had to crawl back in the crawlspace and turn the water off. What are we doing wrong, we think we followed what was in the manual. Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alex Herbert replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Alex. I will be happy to answer your question. Did you install the icemaker yourself with a kit or did the refrigerator come with a icemaker already installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already installed

The line from your house plumbing should hook up to the threaded side of the water inlet valve. The other side of the valve is a push and pull type connector called a John Guest fitting. The hose coming out of the white John Guest fitting from the water valve should go to the icemaker fill tube. If the water connections are correct, disconnect the icemaker electrical connection inside the freezer. Briefly turn the water back on. If the freezer still has water coming in, the water inlet valve is bad. If the water stops the icemaker is bad. Valve part number WR57X10086. Icemaker part number WR30X10093.

Please rate my service by using the star rating system at the top of the page. This is how I am credited for my time. If you have any additional questions about this issue, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. Have a great day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do this in the morning. Thank you so much for your help, it sounds like a part may be bad, I hope the warranty will cover all this, as it has been less than a year. Again thank you for your expert advice.
Al Lara

I would think it would be covered under warranty. Most new units come with a 1 year parts and labor warranty.