John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I am trying to wire a 1950 GE refrigerator. I have been

Customer Question

I am trying to wire a 1950 GE refrigerator. I have been reading how you help someone else on the same problem. I don't know where one wire on the thermostat goes. I have four terminals in the relay. The relay is model Wr7X1.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Can you take a photo of the part and upload it here with the paperclip attachment I am not finding the number WR7X1 valid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached the picture of the relay inside and outside.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you seen the pictures of the relay i sent you?
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 1 year ago.

The picture you sent is of the relay - it's the old HOT WIRE relay but you are saying the problem is the thermostat which I assume is the cold control inside the fresh food section AND you say it has 4 terminals on it ?? Can you send a picture of it and are there 4 wires going to it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thermostat is also the off and on switch and it is located under the refrigerated area. There is a temperature sending tube that goes up into the freezing compartment from the switch thermostat. The thermostat is not wired in so I have to unplug it to stop the compressor. Is it possible that the relay closed the circuit and it defaults to the open position?

Don't see HOW it could be running with the cold control not wired in. Do you have a picture of the cold control ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thermostat off/on switch only has two wires attached to it. When I check continuity it is open when switched of on show continuity when on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two of the screw terminals show continuity with nothing wired in. Does that suggest the relay is stuck in the closed position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found another discussion with a technician Named Tim Allan. The customer also was dealing with putting in a new relay in a 1950 GE fridge. All of his wire colors and to what screw they went to were the same as mine. He did not have the same type of off/on relay. I am helping a friend with this job. He already had the two wires from the thermostat taken off and he did not label them. My question is where do the two wires go!!

If there is just two wires then it doesn't matter which terminal it goes on - it's just a switch, making and breaking the circuit to the compressor. If the compressor runs without the cold control even being in circuit , somehow it is wired HOT all the time , the hot wire is broken by the cold control (also the freezer fan , if it has one will not run , or the condenser fan, if it has one , will not run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't the two wires from the thermostat energize the relay that completes the circuit to the compressor and fan motors ? So it is wired incorrectly or possibly the relay is stuck in the closed position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are three wires going to the compressor. How do I determine which one powers the compressor and which one powers the capacitor? Although I am not sure the color is important but one wire is white, one is black and the other is green.

Here's what I would do - get rid of the old relay and go to an appliance parts store and get a Supco RCO410 , which is a solid state relay and capacitor all in one . It has three wire that plug on to the compressor terminals - start, common, and run. White wire is start, red is run and black is common on the new relay. To determine which terminal is which on the compressor - remove the wires from the compressor and using an ohm meter set to read ohms on a low scale go from pin to pin on the compressor. The HIGHEST ohm reading is from the start winding to the run winding , the LOWEST ohm reading is from the run winding to common and the MIDDLE ohm reading is from start winding to common. The remaining two wires on the new relay are for the incoming wires , one of which is neutral ( usually white ) and the other wire is power from the cold control ( usually black ). The new relay is inexpensive and will replace the obsolete hot wire style used on this fridge.