Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

My Maytag washer is not responding to the water lever swith

Customer Question

my Maytag washer is not responding to the water lever swith .. I just replaced the water level swith and its still filling almost 3/4 fill on the MINI setting . ( lowest possible ) on the washer ..
what else is the cause of this issue ?
the model is lat9416aam
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

When you replaced the switch was the washer empty of water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was empty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are u there ...?

ok then look at the pressure switch air hose to make sure water is not coming up into it as the washer fills.

that will make the pressure switch read the incorrect water level.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello...........?? how am I suppose to check this? .. water in hose ?

The hose the slips on the nipple of the pressure switch yes you will need to check it I have no way of checking it .

this is after all a DIY web site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok... I pull it off the pressure switch as it is filling .... is that what I should do ...?

And you are not the only customer that I`m assisting to day so their is a few minutes delay till I can reply back to you!!

NO DO NOT PULL IT OFF THE SWITCH WHEN IT IS FILLING.

The line need to have no water in it .if you pull it off it WILL then fill with water.

How about we start with what the unit is doing and or not doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.. yes I know its DIY site.. I understand ;... ill be patient ... I am a mechanical engineer .. and very capable of implementing your suggestions ... thank you .. will be patient ...................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.. what its doing is filling almost full with water at the lowest lever setting .. (mini) it raises still more to top at medium level!!this I know is NOT suppose to happen. I blew on the hose before attaching it to new level switch .. I was able to push air thru it .
that's about all I can say .. unless you have more specific instructions I can follow...

Ok what is the part number of the pressure switch that you installed in the washer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does that help ....??

Does what Help .I did not get anything from you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does that help ?? what should I do next ??

I guess you did not see the last question that I asked!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didtnt get that question ... I answerdd the questioni about what its doing and NOT doing .. which I just said above.the part number of the level switch I installed is .. 22001656

ok if you had no water in the washer when you replaced the switch .you either have a pressure switch issue or the tube that goes to the side of the tub has a issue.

Is this the exact same issue that the old switch had?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same issue ... it just kept filling up to that same level.. so the switch was NOT the problem.. ( that's why I contacted you !!!) I need plan " B" ... dig a little deeper .......

ok then since it is the same issue with the new switch and old switch.

Then the issue has to be the tube itself.

I recommend replacing it ,that is all you have left in the water level circuit.

It has to have a air leak that is letting the air out so the switch is not reading the proper water level.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Tube/22001619/454382?rcaid=1000070
If you have any questions just reply back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the air leak has got to be in the other end of that house .. what or where is that located ?? and what is that device ?

The other end mounts on the side of the outer tub.

You will need to raise the top and remove the front washer panel ,and you will see right where the tube mounts on the side of the outer tub.

If you open the link you will see it is just a rubber tube that goes into a larger diameter tube and mounts to the side of the tub

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.. I was just going to ask you HOW to get into that area of it .. I have to take off the entire outside and front 3 sided steel casing .. and then remove the front panel?? ( whats the secret to getting the front control panel off ?

To raise the top on the front corners you have a clip on each corner ,push the clip in the top will pop up and then can be lifted up like a car hood.

Then the top of the front panel is held on the cabinet by two screws one on each side ,remove the screws and lift the front panel up and off .

The side and rear stay in place..

The top panel clips are #5 and then the front panel screws are on the inside of #10

http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/2/0/00033389/680/900

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok...but to get the TOP off. .. where the door is ... I have to remove the front control panel .. I assume .. correct?? Then after I hae the control panel in the back of the unit off.. I can get at those clips on the corners that you metioned and are #5 in that picture ....question : whats the secret to getting that back control panel off???

NO !!

The top panel with the console is held down by those two clips on the front corners .it the gap between the top panel and the front panel .with a putty knife just push the clips in and the top will unlock and raise up just like a car hood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.. got the front panel off .. there were 2 screws on the front .. lower .. 8 " from floor. my model does not have this . the top (with the lid) has 2 sheet metal screws that fasten from underneath front corners and are only accessible when the front panel is removed...im working on the aft control panel now ...

Ok I was going off the parts break down it did not show the front panel screw from the front.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the top reaised... I see the tube on side... I will remove it and test for leaks both in rubber length and the connections at the base,.... if its secure ( no leaks ) what else could it be??

As stated earlier it can only be the tubing or the switch ,you`ve replaced the switch and get the same issue the ONLY thing left is the tubing .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the tubing ... there are NO leaks in it and there wasn t any blockage.. Im checking the water level at the lowest setting .. but it still fills 3/4 full on "mini" and full at medium! I notice there is an adj screw on the darn float level switch .. if I trun it CW.. that would put more pressure on the plastic cap that's attached to the diaphragm.. wouldn't that make it more "sensitive " to pressure and turn off sooner.????

I do not recommend touching the adjustments on the pressure switch !!

That is all done and tested right in the parts factory

As stated earlier, you only have two components for the water level the tube assembly and the switch ,you have already replaced the switch and still have the same issue.

REPLACE the tube assembly!!! my final answer!