Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Maytag Performa 2003 and the spin cycle does not

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Performa 2003 and the spin cycle does not work. The agitator moves, but the tub does not spin. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the washer still agitates, does the washer still drain during spin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it drains. The clothes are still very wet after a cycle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the phone is easier, I can give you my phone number.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK but if it drains it means that the motor is working and the belt is spinning the opposite direction. There is one of 2 things that can cause your problem if the washer is working on everything except during the spin cycle --- either your thrust bearing is worn out underneath your transmission (comes as a kit with bearings washers and the transmission pulley). Or your transmission is losing friction as this transmission does not use gears when it's spinning it uses a friction pulley inside the transmission.

I would replace the thrust bearing kit and see how it works--- if that fixes everything great--- if not probably junk the machine because replacing the transmission takes 2 sets of specialty tools used specifically for that washer and that washer only--- you have to remove the pulley and thrust bearing from the bottom. Next you need to remove the front panel of your washer to you can access the inside. Tip the top of the machine backwards. Take out the agitator and inner tub (specialty tool required) then take off the outer tub. Next take all the springs off the transmission frame.--- use another specialty tool to remove the brake from the transmission-- remove the snubber ring. Then take the frame off the transmission and replace the transmission and main seal and bearing. The cost to have someone replace the transmission for you would be $350-450 or so.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.