Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Just moved and inherited a Maytag top load washer (no

Customer Question

Hi
Just moved and inherited a Maytag top load washer (no manual)
Model MTW 5605 TQ
Serial CW2140008
Class RFB
Our washer ran one load well on Super load and then my wife tried Handwash cycle
It fills with water but will not agitate, rinse or spin
Started as a small load and the only action it would do was to add more water if I increased the load size.
Have tried unplugging and confirming electricity is good.
Just sitting there full of water.
Help please.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Does the washer work on any cycle at all right now other than the filling? And is the washer silent when it should be agitating or dead silent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tyler,
Had to re log in with a new password.The machine does not activate at all on any cycle
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK perfect, thank you for getting back. There is a very common problem with this washer and this should be fairly painless to fix. The lid switch is located in the back left corner of the top panel of the washer. There is a long metal arm that extends from the left lid hinge and hits the lid switch to tell the washer that the lid is shut. This metal arm tends to bend downwards over time making it so that it doesn't create a good contact with the lid switch. You will need to reach under the top panel through the basket opening and try to bend the arm back up, or more likely the better way to access this bar is to remove the control panel and then take the entire outer metal shell off so that you can reach under and bend the metal arm up slightly to make better contact.

Also, below is a link to a video that shows you how to remove the control panel as well as how to remove the outer shell so that you can access the lid switch bar on the left lid hinge.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That video does not look anything like this Maytag model and is not helpful
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So i understand it doesn't look quite like yours, but the process is exactly the same as in the video. Just ignore what it looks like and do what the video shows to take the outer shell of the washer off. Your style is the 3rd control panel style with the hidden metal clips under the right and left end caps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I'll re watch for the 3rd panel
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK good luck. It's at time stamp 1:18

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Screws on panel and any attempt to raise or move face of panel feels like I would break something.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I understand there are no screws. Did you watch at 1:18? They are showing you the 2 hidden metal spring clips that you must push to release the control panel. If this is out of your capabilities then you'll need to call a technician out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, no clips visible. Able to raise both ends about 1/4 inch but no clips to push or pull
There are two machine screws at the back of the machine that appear to go through back panel, a strap and a into the cover. below are two plastic levers that look like the can be pinched to close
might this be the method for this model?
1.18 on the video is not possible
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The clips are not visible... They are hidden. Just like in the video.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, but your direction has not helped me.
The suggested method is not possible with this machine.
How much am I being billed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get a tech and watch him and if the proceedure is remotely as suggested, I will return and offer my apologies and compliments.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Just post back if you need anything