Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My whirlpool washer makes a buzzing noise when put into spin

Customer Question

my whirlpool washer makes a buzzing noise when put into spin cycle then stops, and it is leaking oil
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think the model number might be W10140920 C
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly. If another tech tries to post to you please only deal with me as this confuses the issue and further I receive no credit then for assisting....just kindly ask the other tech to leave and deal directly with me thanks!

What is the complete model number? The one listed is not valid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only numbers i see are W10140920C SER CY1031893 Type 111-07

Lift the lid and look at the very back edge of the frame you should see it there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wtw5100vq0

Ok the oil leaking happens often on that unit so I would not worry too much about that, does the unit fill and agitate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the unit fills but i haven't tried anything else because i can get it to spin and drain

Ok you likely have a sock stuck in the pump causing the whole issue, Here is a video to assist with getting at the drain pump, you will need to take the hoses off it to check inside for a blockage...or remove it and get a 3/8" extension and use that to turn the pump shaft it should turn very freely if it does not and is jammed there is something stuck in it. Now if you have a good pinch clamp you can pinch the tube off so you can minimize the water out of the unit while you do the repair, otherwise you will have to get drain the water out of the unit, if there is a floor drain nearby you can do that with the hoses on the pump.

CLICK HERE VIDEO

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page before you leave. Us techs only receive a SMALL PORTION of whatever you have chosen to pay after a good star rating is chosen. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i took the system apart and checked the hoses and couldn't find any socks

Does the pump turn freely?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK if you try to start it where is the buzzing coming from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the top by the nobs

OK that would be the timer then is it loud?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is

Ok that is the timer maybe causing the noise, does the lid switch work and click now that you have the cabinet off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it still works

OK can you pin point the source by flipping up the console and feeling or seeing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the source of what?

The buzzing