Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a problem with a True commercial double wide glass

Customer Question

I have a problem with a True commercial double wide glass front 220v freezer. One of the three 110 legs in the main disconnect box to the building blew a fuse. We lost power to the freezer as well as about 1/3 of the stores other fixtures. Electricians came in, and said the disconnect box and incoming cables were so old the entire box needed to be replaced. All of the insulation was worn out covering the cables, and they were close to touching each other. Two days later, they returned and installed a new main disconnect box. When the power was restored there were 6 or 7 large "bangs" - it sounded like small lightning bolts. After this the freezer did not cool at all. Repairman said the compressor is blown, and needs to be replaced for $3,300. My landlord is saying it's just a coincidence that the freezer went out at the same time as these electrical issues, and they are refusing to pay for the damage. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So you can tell whether it's a coincidence or not by testing the windings on the compressor. There are 3 prongs on the compressor and if you test resistance through any 2 of the prongs at one time, you'll get a resistance. Whatever the lesser 2 resistances are, they should add up to be the highest 3rd combination resistance. If that all checks out, then it really was just a coincidence. But if one of the winding is open or the resistance value changed and it doesn't add up correctly, then that was caused by a power surge.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?