John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My ge profile refer/ freezer will not cool.

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alex Herbert replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Alex. I am here to help answer your question. Did you change the main control board located on the back of the refrigerator? This model also has an inverter board part number WR55X10685 that goes out quite often that would cause a no cool. The inverter board is attached to the side of the compressor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed out the main control board and the refer/freezer will still not cool. The fan motor continually runs and the temperatures continue to rise. Before the refer/freezer quit cooling it would work for a few days and then quit working till I unplugged it for a while and started again then it would work again.

Has there been any ice buildup on the back wall of the freezer compartment? Is the compressor cool warm or hot to the touch? You still may have an inverter board issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No ice buildup but our food would freeze at times in the refer.
I don't know what the compressor temp was as I unplugged the appliance

This model has a variable speed compressor. I change the inverter boards all time in GE refrigerators with a no cool. The refrigerator needs to be plugged in so we know if the compressor is running or not. Your description sounds like a compressor issue. You can check the voltage going to the inverter board. The voltage should be 120 volts. There should be continuity between all compressor terminals. Make sure the refrigerator is unplugged before testing continuity. There are 3 compressor terminals. Test from terminal 1 to 2 then 2 to 3 and 3 to 1. These should all show some resistance. Also test all compressor terminals to ground. There should not be a reading. Here are some other things to check. Make sure the condenser fan is operating. The condenser fan cools the compressor and is located underneath by the compressor. The thermistor which senses the temperature may be bad.