Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an MSD-2555-DRW side by side Ref-Frzr. It is forming

Customer Question

I have an MSD-2555-DRW side by side Ref-Frzr. It is forming ice on the floor of the frzr.
Can you send a diagram or instructions showing me where the drain port and the tray are located and how to access them.
My email is ********* .
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So you're exactly right. This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the screws going into the lower back panel inside the freezer. Remove the lower back panel in the freezer so you can see the drain line below the silver coils. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** be able to try this Saturday morning and will have to rate this Monday when I return to work. It will be a high rating if the heater is as close as you say and the drain is easily visible where I don't need a diagram like I asked for. It sounds straight forward enough.
Thanks.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and good luck to you!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?