Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an old whirlpool stove with metal burner tops

Customer Question

I have an old whirlpool stove with metal burner tops enclosed. When I bake sometimes my broiler goes on and burns food. Also have a problem if I bake and use the stovetop I blow the fusebox. Is it the stove the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

First, the only thing that would cause the oven to broil when it should be baking is the digital control board or the thermostat (depending on if you have a digital board or a mechanical twist thermostat). That part would need to be replaced to resolve the issue. As for the breaker tripping, either your breaker is weak, or the breaker isn't set up for 50 amps which is what these free standing ranges require. if it's only on a 30 amp breaker or a 40 amp breaker, it will randomly trip when the breaker overheats.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.