Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore Elite washer issue again. Might be a

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Elite washer issue again. Might be a balancing issue. IT Starts at about 24 minutes on normal cycle, it makes a crackling chain grinding-like sound usually during rinse cycle, I doubt it's the motor or bearing. I've noticed lately it has
trouble balancing the load during rinse even though I balance the contents evenly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It is usually located on a sticker below the lid tucked up underneath by the hinges (not on the lid itself).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
110.27087601
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so this sounds like the RPS sensor isn't controlling the stator motor properly. you can remove the inner basket and try to sand the shaft down as it gets corroded and that can affect how the basket moves, but other than that, you'd want to replace the RPS sensor mounted to the top of the stator motor below the tub. Below is a link to the kit which was re-designed because it has many issues controlling the motor and giving errors, but this grinding type sound is usually the motor doing rapid bursts of short movements and trying to switch directions and such.

CLICK HERE for RPS sensor kit

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the noise actually coming from and why don't I get an error code?
This part actually is what controls the balance?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If you let it go long enough, eventually you'll start getting an error code in a few days/weeks/months. But yes this part actually controls the balance by determining the strain on the motor. The noise comes from rapid bursts of power going to the motor. Hard to explain but it's the motor starting and stopping very rapidly which causes the noise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you mentioned rapid bursts of short movements, wouldn't that be in the wash cycle? My issue starts in the rinse cycle
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Not necessarily no. There is more water used in rinse so it can cause different strains on the motor causing the sensor to act up differently.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I will have to try a new RPS. It should be simple to replace. Like I mentioned, other than that noise, it has more trouble with balancing now and somethimes bad enough to stop washer, otherwise it just keeps trying to rebalance which I assume wastes more water
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK well that part should fix both issues I would think.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** do this and if all fails, I'll be back again for more assistance. Probably about time for a new set after 11 years now and repairs are at least once a year. Once again Thanks and glad you are still there to help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and good luck to you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just watched the video, they lay the washer on its' front, doesn't any remaining water within the tub spill out?
and why is it so important to replace the wire harness? (if the sensor is the problem)
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The part was re-designed. You need to replace the entire kit. And yes if there is a lot of water in the tub is will come out so drain out as much as you can first manually if you need to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh, that makes sense, different connections on the sensor. what do I need to do to get at the water to manually remove?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Cup and bucket, or wet vac if you have one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a reason for the redesigned part or can I get original sensor if available such as the Whirlpool W10178988 I found on Amazon
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, if you'd like to continue this conversation I'm going to ask that you accept the extended service option as I have been speaking with you for over an hour now. But yes, there is always a reason why the part is re-designed. They don't tell us why, they just do it. Telling us why can possibly leave them open to a class action lawsuit.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Good luck