Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a maytag mvwc400xw0 which was acting up. It wasn't

Customer Question

I have a maytag mvwc400xw0 which was acting up. It wasn't fully draining, spin mode was acting strange, lid lock was acting up etc. so I bought a reman control board. Installed the reman controller, tried to run a calibration cycle, and the red lid lock light wouldn't come on. I purchased a new lid lock, and it still doesn't come on to calibrate. Ohmmeter shows both new and old lid lock to be around 100 ohm on pins 1 and 3. Swapped in my old control board, IT doesn't recognize either lid lock, and the red light doesn't turn on that unit either. I feel like I must be missing something easy and obvious..help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

SO you can not even get it into diagnostic mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct-- i do the right-right-right-left-right on the control knob; i get all the green lights to light up, rotate the knob until only "rinse" is on, hit start, and all 5 green lights light up, but lid doesnt lock, and the red lock light does nothing.with my original control board, this diagnostic mode would do the same thing, except the lid lock would lock, unlock, then the red indicator would flash, and shut down after a few seconds. switching into the reman unit, the lid would not lock, red light would not come on, and would exit diagnostic mode without a sound of the lock trying anything. same thing when i swapped in the new lid lock. then, as a control, i swapped back to the original control board with the new lid lock, and the lid lock light STILL won't come on. Am i something? by rights, the original control board and original lid lock should still do what it did before i started switching parts out, but it does the same thing as the reman control board/new switch. it just doesnt stand to reason.

OK do this get it back into diagnostic mode turn the dial until SPIN and DONE are lit...then press start all the lights should go off.....Then Press start again and the lid should lock and if you press start again the lid should unlock....see if it does.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck. Spin and done lit, press start, all green lights blink in unison three times, then all go out. No lock light, no lock action. Spin the lock knob, and it will allow me to select automatic testmode,but lid won't lock. Washer is filling with hot water. Pause button works to stop hot water, but nothing else.??????

You have a bad board or the wrong board for the unit. Nothing else would cause this

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In manual test mode, I'm able to drain the water that filled in from my previous test.

If you select SPIN and DONE in diagnostic mode that is manual mode, once you press START all the lights should go out...then you need to press START again and it should lock the lid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Negative. No light, no lock.

Ok then there is either something wrong with the lock or the board

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page before you leave. Us techs only receive a SMALL PORTION of whatever you have chosen to pay after a good star rating is chosen. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive got a replacement control board coming; once it's here I'll be back In touch.

Sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replacement reman control board installed, still same thing. No lid lock light at all in either calibration mode, automatic test mode, or manual test mode. With either the original latch, first replacement latch, or second replacement latch. There HAS to be something easy that's causing the same issue with three different control boards and three different lid latches.

I do not know what would be causing that issue other than maybe a bad mode shifter, part W10006355

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tested the mode shifter, resistance is within specified tolerance.i used my multimeter to continue testing the lid lock while plugged into the main control board, and with my tester on pins 3 and 4 to see if the circuit was open, the lid lock light started blinking and it clicked closed and open. even with getting the lid lock light to blink, it's still not letting me calibrate it.
by "jumping" the lid lock on pins 3 and 4 with the multimeter, is this telling me my replacement computer is bad, or my replacement lid lock is bad?

I would say thew control board is bad based on the testing you have done. That is very common on that unit those boards went bad a lot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm on my second reman control board, and neither it nor the first reman board (which i returned) have lit up the lid lock light.my original control board (which i still have) doesn't light up the lid lock lamp either upon reinstall, but it did light up the lid lock lamp before i took it out to swap in the first reman control board.
it doesn't stand to reason that the original control board would change it's behavior after removing and reinstalling, and act just like the two reman units.
is there a test i can do with my multimeter to verify the lid lock circuit on the control board?

It is hard to test the lid lock since it does not work, have you tried a new lid lock?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have TWO new ones. scroll up and read our dialogue.