Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have a edgestar IB450SS icemaker. it stopped producing ice

Customer Question

i have a edgestar IB450SS icemaker. it stopped producing ice intermittently. It will make ice sometimes, and other times it won't. When it doesn't, the ice starts to form on one side of the grid, more then the other side. Then it never forms completely by the time the dump cycle occurs, and it is only formed partially. I had a friend that works on AC equipment look at it with me. He checked the Freon pressure with his gauges and said that it was good at 6 oz. as operating manual says. he also said that the compressor seemed to be operating the way it should. My friend said that he could try to work on it further but we don't have a service manual. He also said the the problem could be the hot gas valev, and also one other valve but I forgot the name of it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 year ago.

Ice machines can be trick to diagnose even for qualified ice machine specialist, having said that there could be several things going on here.

1. Bad water circulation pump not supplying enough water.

2. If this unit has a thermal expansion valve, the valve could be sticking not allowing the

the freon to flow properly.

3. the plate could be coming separated from the coils. This is usually indicative of what you described as the ice forming on one side more than the other.

these are the things you friend should be looking for.

please remember we are on the honor system here, please rate my service by selecting a star

at the top of the screen as it is the only way I get credit for helping you. You can

continue asking follow-up questions at any time after rating my service. Thank You.

I see this question is still open if there was nothing more I can do for you please rate my

service using the star rating system so I can put this on my done list thanks!