Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Tyler Darren I have a question on a Maytag gas oven

Customer Question

hi Tyler Darren I have a question for you on a Maytag gas oven
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

It's unlikely that the cooktop igniters or wiring would have anything to do with the problem, most likely the issue would be with the igniter for the bake burner if it only occurs when using the oven for bake. Check the wiring to the igniter and if you see nothing odd, just replace the igniter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Makes a lot of sense Tyler ok buddy will do. I will replace the igniter if things look good with the wiring and let you know how things came out. take care and have a good rest of the day T and I will talk to you tomorrow.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK good luck to you man.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when I got to this job tyler I immediately just for the heck of it plugged the oven into a totally different circuit and the oven ran fine ?? preheated and ran it for 20 min. Then I plugged it into the original line that the electrician was saying that the oven was tripping the breaker. the breaker was shut off and I turned the breaker switch on which by the way is one of those new up to code ARC fault breakers that they are using now. I ran the stove 2 separate occasions for 20 minutes from an off position and the stove never tripped the breaker ?? go figure right. I also ran the microwave at the same time the oven was running and nothing tripped the arc fault breaker ?? The microwave and oven are on the same line. So I ran the oven from an off position 3 different times for a minimum of 20 minutes each time and had no problems with any breaker. I then leave and the customer had called and said he turned the oven on in the bake cycle as we did before and the breaker tripped and the microwave and stove electricity shut off again. I'm thinking theres a problem in the line that the microwave and stove are hooked into at this point tyler ?? Since the stoves bake igniter didn't trip any thing before when I was there. Any thoughts at this point I'm thinking the stoves bake igniter and stove in general is ok from the tests I had run prior to me leaving

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I hate these kinda calls as much as you do, because when it's intermittent it can be an absolute shoot on what can cause the issue. Usually the heat from the oven is causing it to trip, but again I'd still replace the igniter. That being said, the microwave and oven are supposed to be on separate circuits so if they aren't, that is the first thing they'd need to change.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok t thanks I will get back to you a little later on this I am behind on a call right now. Thanks so much as usual for getting back Tyler. I will talk soon later today buddy

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK we'll see you later man.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?