John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Jenn-air SVD48600W: the down draft fan doesn't run. All

Customer Question

Jenn-air SVD48600W: the down draft fan doesn't run. All other controls work fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Have you tested the fan motor to see if it is getting voltage or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have no way of doing that. All the contacts are under the oven and the fan is bolted to the floor.

Ok To be able to do any testing at all the unit will need to be able to be moved out away from the wall .

The down draft control board is in the rear of the oven .

That would be the first place voltage has to be tested at.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but the oven can't be moved out very easily since the downdraft motor is bolted to the floor. I have found the electrical contact to the motor. But can't get it loose yet. Still trying. If I do get it loose I should be able to check the power there right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I got the lead off the motor. It's a square plug with 4 contacts how do I know which to try to test?

Yes you can test it right there High speed is Red to White and medium speed is Black to White

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually my tester doesn't have a probe. It's a proximity tester. Think that'll work?

It will only show if voltage is present or not.

It will not show actual voltage, but it is better than nothing!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I'll go get it. Not sure where it is. How long can this whole thing go on? I may have to leave soon to go pick someone up.So to use the tester I just hit the fan on the pad then just see if there's any juice? Like I said it's got no probe.

Yes that is how to test it .

Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!

There is no time limit!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Found the tester. Dead batt. Replaced Batts. . . . still nothing. I'll get back to you later. Thanks.

Ok no problem!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. When we last chatted I was looking for a working voltage meter. Got it, actually got 2, and the fan motor is not getting any current. I've been here before. You may be able to look up the last time this happened (2013 - 14) because I used this web site to fix the problem. I was the downdraft relay. I was hoping for an easier fix this time ...... maybe something in the touch pad. To get to the relay is a big job.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I don't want to go get another down draft relay if the problem could be in the pad. Don't know how to get to it or what to do if I could.

Ok the only downdraft relays I see is on the Downdraft control board .

To see if the control /relay is getting command voltage you can ohm out the fan switch and you can test that on the J4-1 to the J1-1 looking for 0.7 VDC when on and 12.0VDC when off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not savvy enough for all that. . . . plus I don't have a voltage/ohm meter, just a proximity senor and a 2 pronged tester with a light. The downdraft control panel is on the back of the oven. The last time it was obvious that something shorted out. I guess the easiest way for me is to check it out ....... before I buy one to see if it's shorted. I hate to have to move the oven because of the fan & all. I may be able to cut the back of the counter out to get to it. The oven's in an island so the back is in front of a seating area. I'll have to see how big a deal that would be & if I want to do it.

Yes this was not the best design to have to be worked on .

and yes look at the relay

you can also jump out the relay for testing jump L1 to high or low on the relay to see if the fan will run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll get back to you when I figure out what I'm going to do.

Ok no problem.

I`m online ,may be a delay, I`m grading papers today with this site open also.