John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Need help with an LG Refrigerator error code RF. I've

Customer Question

Need help with an LG Refrigerator error code RF. I've verified all 3 fans work and have had someone replace the control board. Still have the code. Need help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

IS the code just RF?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now. It was originally an RF code. Replaced the fan. Then had a dS code. A technician replaced two things (one was the defrosting sensor-don't remember the other but he said he should just do it because he was in there). Errorred out again (don't remember the code this time) but the technician decided to replace the control board. He did yesterday. Plugged it in, errored out again with the RF. Thought maybe it was iced up so I took it back apart last night and melted the ice with a hair dryer (it was very iced up). Plugged it in overnight and woke up to the RF code again. Just took it apart again and looked at all 3 fans and all are spinning properly as best I can tell. Really don't know where to turn other than have someone come out again and "fix" it. FYI, our problems started 5 months ago (seriously) and it happened because one of my kids left one of the french doors slightly open all night. Obviously was trying to run to catch up and have been having problems ever since.

Well if it is still icing you will get that code, you likely have a defrost heater or sensor causing this issue in the refrigerator section. HAve you checked to see if the heater is good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope - didn't really know there was a heater. Something I can check?

Yes get at the evaporator in refrigerator and you should be able to get at the heating element to check it for continuity can you do that?