Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a Sharp microwave that we purchased at Best Buy

Customer Question

We have a Sharp microwave that we purchased at Best Buy about 2 1/2 years ago. My wife tried to use it a few minutes ago and the lights inside were flashing and it was sparking. It scared the hell out of her, she thought it was going to explode.
Is that the life of a Sharp Micro, less than 3 years?
Please advise,
Ed. Horowitz ***@******.***
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So unfortunately this is quite a major issue. It means that your magnetron is arcing out and the magnetron at the very least would need to be replaced, plus if the wave guide is damaged through the frame of the oven, it may need to be re-painted so it doesn't arc out in the future. As for how long the unit should last, definitely longer than 2 1/2 years. But that being said there are very few moving parts on a microwave so just like a computer, I've seen them fail in the first month or I've seen them last 10 years with no problems---it's very sporadic and really not time dependent when they fail.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.