Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Door is locked and wont open. washing machine won't operate

Customer Question

door is locked and wont open. washing machine won't operate and the power button doesn't turn off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So either the latch has failed or the tub isn't draining. You'll be able to tell once you open the door if the washer is full of water or not, but if it is, then you need to worry about the drain issue. This is actually quite a difficult washer to repair unfortunately. As an overview, the top panel, the control panel, and the entire front panel must all be removed in order to access the drain pump below the tub to remove the blockage if you have a drain issue. If you don't have a drain issue, ignore everything I'm about to tell you about accessing the drain and just unlock the door manually as I'll describe later how to do. Then unplug the washer for 5 minutes, plug it back in and if the washer still won't work and the tub isn't full of water, replace the door latch.

To start, remove the top panel. You can pull the washer forward and remove the screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back up, and off. Now unplug the washer.

Next, remove the dispenser drawer and I can't recall if there are screws going in around the dispenser frame on this model of not but if so, remove those. Unclip the top of the control panel and remove any screws that are holding the top of the control panel to the frame of the washer. The control panel will then fold forward and off at which point you can unplug the connecting wires and set the control panel off to the side.

Lastly, remove the screws along the top of the front panel and open the door. There is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. If you can't open the front door because it's locked shut, reach behind the front panel and pull down on the plastic tab at the bottom of the door latch to manually unlock the door. Use a flat head screwdriver to pry this wire spring clamp off of the rubber gasket and push the rubber gasket into the tub and out of the way. Tip the washer backwards a bit and remove the screws long the bottom below the front panel. The front panel will then pull forward and you can unplug the door latch assembly and set it off to the side.

Now you finally have access to the drain pump below the washer. There is a 3" hand twist plastic catch which you can unscrew and all the water in the tub will come pouring out inside the tub so be ready. Clean out the pump and the catch and the hose between the pump and tub and you should be good to go.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.