John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Im trying to find out my maytag oven model number -

Customer Question

im trying to find out my maytag oven model number - apparently the sticker is missing because the repair tech walked away when he was my house... its a gas oven - 24" wide and 46" high - with a pretty big broiler area on the bottom - purchased around 1992
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
color is black - i would recognize it from a photo or a drawing - but not sure there was more than one or two from that time perio
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Normally on Maytags the model number is ***** the top rear of the range.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i had a sears repair guy at my house and he walked away - really kind of puzzled me - like he had no clue how to proceed - its not an 80 year old product
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he didn't try to pull it out of the wall - nor did he seem inclined to do same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
top rear would be visible only if pulled out of the wall ?

ok is this a free standing range burners on top /cooktop or a built in oven?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
built in to the wall... looks a lot like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maytag-24-in-Single-Gas-Wall-Oven-in-Black-CWG3600AAB/100030407
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same dimensions as that newer product - just different control layout
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my oven temp control is a dial - for example... has a few controls I don't use - mostly electronic control area is just a clock/timer for me... i bought the thing in 1992 - i think... maybe 1993 or 1991.... but 1992 is most likely

Ok built in and no numbers at all on the face frame of either oven with the doors opened and nothing on or around the oven doors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he looked - i didn't - im not home right now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he opened the doors, was very surprised he didn't look at the ignition thing that turns the fire on... since I wouldn't imagine that part changes often
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i actually was wondering if he even knew how to find the ignition thing - did not get a high level of confidence from this guy

ok on built in models it will either be one the face frame or on the door edges.

What is the oven doing and or not doing?

Ignition thing do you mean the burner igniter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont know what the part is - but I think normally when i turn it on - i hear a click... now its just no sound - and no flame
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i looked at a part the other day - by pulling the bottom of the top champer out - i imagine the bad part is a little white ceramic looking thing - with some wires leading to it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
top chamber

ok no sound and no flame is this on both ovens ?

And if not which oven and is it when you select Bake or Broil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both ovens - top and bottom/broiler - pretty sure they share the same heat source in the middle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im mostly trying to figure out how to proceed since repair tech (from sears) didn't have a clue... which really surprised me... they aren't set up to do anything without that model number... not sure about serial number - not sure how that's relevant except for a warranty or something
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i set up the appointment i told them i didn't know the model number - but referenced a model currently sold by sears - which i think is the same one i sent you a link for also sold by home depot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you need time to research this - just say so - and ill stop interrupting you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im confused - i asked a question about rear of the unit - and never got an answer - if the answer is the tech should have pulled it out of the wall and looked at sticker - please let me know that

very unlikely that they would share the same burner .

each oven should have separate Bake and Broil burners.

No the model number should be in a place that the unit does not need to be un installed to find it.

do you by chance have the use and care booklet that came with the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no - i don't believe i have the book
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the heat to the bottom oven seems to come from the middle - i know i put pizza below to blast the cheese from the top - thought that was the definition of a broiler (cook from a heat source above)the repair tech looked all around for a label - found nothing... seemed like his marching orders were to tell me to buy a new oven

Well if he could not find a model number and if you look and can not find one you have no way of looking parts up by model number ,so you or someone would need to get the part number off of the spark module to be able to order the part on any part for that matter without a model number.

You only have one other way to get parts and that is from a part number on the part itself. or to take the part to a parts supplier.

So they can look at it and hopefully match it up to another part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no way to look at a historical library of maytag products from that year - and find the model number ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't see maytag having an infinite set of models in any given calendar year

No everything you look up in any manufactures data base is by model number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i hear what you're saying - but that's not a good answer (not your fault - just seems like a problem destined to keep repeating itself)... who owns maytag these days ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my problem also was the gas company was suggesting that the hose behind the oven - leading from the valve below the over to wherever the gas comes into the over - needs to be spot checked with a bubble test... which it could pass... they never said it was leaking - just that it should be checked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i close out your ticket ?

Whirlpool owns Maytag!

The problem that the manufacture will have with no model/serial tag is when they tell a dealer to condemn a product the dealer then removes the model /serial tag and sends it to the manufacture .

but some times !! a dealer does not scrap the unit they resell it !1 which is illegal but they still do it anyway.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why would a product be condemned ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think i got this from a place that is no longer in business - if i had bought it from sears - they would have a computer record of it

Sorry I had to step away for a few minutes.

If a new product has problems and the service repair company has been out several times ,or if the product is dented .It is easier for the manufacture to just replace the unit then it is to fix it in most cases ,those are the most common issue for a product to be condemned ,

and Yes Sear probably would have the model and serial on file if they had sold it .