Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I purchased a Samsung washer(wa422prhdwr)

Customer Question

I purchased a Samsung washer(wa422prhdwr) &dryer(dv422ewhdwr) 2/15/14 the washer only wash on quick wash without giving a error message. The dryer is not drying, when i set it on quick dry 40mins display on unit,after3mins it displays 1, i contacted Samsung where tech told me to wipe sensors of with rubbing alcohol, started it back up then it just shut off,warranty expired of course,please HELP!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

For the washer, unplug it for at least 4 hours to reset the electronic control. Any change when plugged back in?

As for the dryer...

Inside the dryer are two metal strips that sense the moisture in the clothes. The clothing passes over the strips and create an electrical path with the moisture in them. The metal strips sense the resistance in that electrical path and send that resistance reading to the control. The control then reads the resistance reading, interprets the resistance and from that reading determines how long the dryer needs to run. The less moisture in the clothing, the higher the resistance. The problem is that over time, detergent and softener residue builds up on the metal sensor strips and creates an insulating barrier between the strips and the clothing. Since the strips cannot sense the moisture in the clothing because of this barrier, it sends a high resistance reading to the control. The control then interprets that to mean that the clothes are dry and shuts off prematurely. You will need to clean those strips with a Scotch Brite pad, steel wool, sand paper or other abrasive to remove that barrier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change with dryer, again tech at Samsung advised me to clean the sensors with rubbing alcohol (no change) i then did what u advised me to do,i used steel wool scrubbing pad (still not heating) the dryer is going thru the whole cycle, but not drying the garments :'(
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

So the dryer is not heating or heating but not drying?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not heating at all
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I misunderstood you then, my apologies. Moisture sensor will not cause no heat, only premature shutting off before clothes are dry. Are you in the US? If so, do you have a meter to test voltage with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im in the US&no sir
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You will need a meter to test with to proceed much deeper. It is possible that you have lost one side of the breaker, so turn it off and on a couple times. It will still run but not heat if you lose the side that runs only the heater.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IS this meter something i can purchase at home depo or lowes?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Sure, you just need a basic one to test voltage. They cost about $20 or so for a basic digital one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect thnx
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You bet!