Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a 25 year old Amana model SBD20KW side by side

Customer Question

I have a 25 year old Amana model SBD20KW side by side refrigerator which has not been getting cold. The freezer thaws food and the refrigerator is cool not cold. Our local (Riverside, CA) appliance store said they couldn't repair it because of the freon used by this model. Is it possible to repair ? I love this fridge and would prefer to fix it, not replace it.
Eileen A.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Yes the unit can be worked on the problem you will run into is it used the R-12 Refrigerant which has been outlawed by the government for depleting the earth's Ozone layer.

And if it is low on refrigerant .

That means there is a leak somewhere within the system Which would mean a part would need to be replaced.

and by law the manufacturer only has to provide replacement parts for appliances for 7 years after the appliance was discontinued by the manufacturer,, which in turn means you would not find new parts just laying around on an appliance parts dealer shelf.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you would be much better off purchasing a new unit .

These newer units are so much more energy efficient that this older model was when it was new.

You would save more money every year with a new one in it's place.

Sorry But things do not last as long as they did for our parents.