Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Kenmore elite 665.12782k310 probably 3 years old. Stalls mid

Customer Question

kenmore elite 665.12782k310 probably 3 years old. Stalls mid cycle. I bought and replaced the control board. Exactly same problem persists. I signed on and asked for expert help (sept 11, 2015), no response. Last chance to get problem resolved before I start a big campaign warning everyone about how bad this product is.
Two possibilities: you sent me a faulty control board
Something else causes a dishwasher to stall.
Thanks in advance for your help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

WHat exactly happens when it stalls?

I see this question is still open if there was nothing more I can do for you please rate my service using the star rating system so I can put this on my done list thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Naturally when you wrote back machine started working again. Dishwasher ran fine for 3-4 days.
Then is stalled in the dry cycle. Drying light flashed, everything else was stopped, did not progress beyond this stage.
Next time (and next day), machine stalled in the rinse cycle (about 1 hour in). Same thing. Rinsing light flashes, everything else was stopped, cycle did not progress beyond this stage.
Next day, re-ran machine, stopped again on the rinse cycle. This time, I cancelled the program, and hit "Quick rinse". Exact same outcome. Machine ran for a bit (5 minutes roughly), then stopped everything, and the Rinse light blinked.
When the washer originally started acting up, the identical problem occurred in the wash cycle.
Either I have a second faulty control board (since that was the first thing I replaced), or there are some sensors (or sets of sensors) that are not functioning. But I can't figure out what those sensors might be, as the washer has stalled in washing, rinsing and drying modes.
Note that the inside of the machine felt hot in the drying mode, so I don't think it's a heating element which is burned out.
Thanks for your help.

When it stops can you restart it right away?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can restart right away, but on a different program. In other words, I hit cancel, then "Quick rinse" to start another rinse. That still didn't work though, as the washer stalled soon afterwards.
The longer I leave it, the longer the washer runs before re-stalling though. I don't have much data on this, but when the washer sat for about 2 weeks, it ran again for a few days. Might just be coincidence.

Based on what you are saying do all the keys work on the touchpad fine? This sounds like a bad touchpad

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page before you leave. Us techs only receive a SMALL PORTION of whatever you have chosen to pay after a good star rating is chosen. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, that makes no sense.
If the touchpad were bad, then I would not be able to start a program (or it would start erratically). That has never been a problem. The problem is that the program starts, runs for a given period of time (as described above), and then everything simply stops.At the point where the program stops, there is no touchpad involvement.Could you clarify your answer, or suggest why the washer is behaving the way it is please?Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting for an answer to the above. So far you asked a lot of questions, but your diagnosis, that it's a problem with the keypad, does not seem likely. The keypad always responds, immediately and correctly, to any inputs.
What is wrong with my dishwasher?
It is still stalling on the rinse cycle. If I restart as a "Quickrinse", it runs a few minutes, then stalls again.
I have one more bit of data. When I opened the machine, there was some water in it. I hit the drain button (same as the cancel button), and it drained perfectly, but did not seem to shut the drain pump motor off, even after all the water was gone. Could the problem be that there is a float switch that activates the drain motor that is malfunctioning at times?
Thanks in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting on an answer to the above.
Kenmore elite 665.12782k310 dishwasher. Runs fine, then simple stalls during the rinse cycle.
Canceling and then launching the quick rinse cycle gets a few more minutes rinsing, then machine stalls again.
I've replaced the control board, and the symptoms are unchanged.
Keypad works fine. Responds to all inputs.
Any ideas?
Thank you.