John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

GE profile refridgerator model 23 25 or 26 not sure which,

Customer Question

GE profile refridgerator model 23 25 or 26 not sure which, .... 'fridge light went out, ..?burned out, ? ... bulb was very hot when I changed it ..... that was 24 hour ago, .... strange thing is since then I suspect the 'fridge itself is failing to cool. reached 66dF.... the express cool lower compartment does have cooling but the main body of the 'fridge does not seem to cool. I have reset temp settings, .... the water in the door dispenser is cold, the freezer works fine .... not sure what is going on
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are the packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the freezer side of this side-by-side GE profile unit is working fine. I doubt this is a frost build up issue as the refridgerator went from perfectly normal function to failure (in retrospect) the instant I bumped the top-light unit and the bulb went out. I know it sounds strange, but somehow this impact absolutely seems to have coincided with the abrupt failure of the refridgerator. And as a further strange aspect, as I mentioned, the so called "express cool" function for the bottom compartement still does get cold air when the express cool function is activated on the front door control panel
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I understand the freezer side works find---what you don't understand is how this refrigerator works. We can debate why I'm asking you to make this check if you'd like, but I'm having you check this for a reason.