John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My dryer all of a sudden will not come on, nothing happens

Customer Question

my dryer all of a sudden will not come on, nothing happens when you hit power and the light on the inside will not come on
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Are you sure there is power to the machine? Do you have a meter to test voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is power, machine is plugged in and breaker is set
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

How are you verifying power, do you have a meter to test with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you intending on sending me a response?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I have sent you a response, you have not answered my question. How are you determining that there is power to the dryer if it does not light up at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I answered that question by stating that yes there is power to machine, same breaker controls our electric stove and it is working fine, however nothing including the drum light will come on in the dryer. It worked fine yesterday but today nothing
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The dryer is not wired on the same breaker as the range. It would have to be at least a 70 amp breaker. The dryer is on its own breaker, it should be a 30 amp double breaker. Do you have two breaker boxes maybe that the dryer breaker may be in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a double pole breaker labeled "dryer", no other breakers are tripped and when I reset that breaker only the stove goes off
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The breaker is mislabeled then. Is there another double breaker, even though it does not looked tripped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have flipped all the breakers that exist in this home and it changes nothing
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You will need a meter to test with. Do you have one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a meter, and if this is the best you can do you better stick with only charging me 5.00 then
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Good luck to you!

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Sir I am a different tech do you want more help?

Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 year ago.

Hello I can help you with this if you have time.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Just get back to me when you can