John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a kitchen aid superba standalone ice maker. Yesterday

Customer Question

I have a kitchen aid superba standalone ice maker. Yesterday it stop making ice, the water bin is full of water and water is being circulated over the freeze plate but its not freezing. I keep hearing a clicking noise and i noticed the fan is not turning on underneath the unit. I have disconnected by evaporator thermistor because it was faulty. Ice was still being made after i disconnected it. I am waiting on a new thermistor to be shipped to me to replace. Is that causing issue and fan not to come on or is the fan bad also?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

You have more then a fan issue it the bin has standing water in it!

Does this unit have an auxiliary drain pump?

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter to be able to do any voltage or component testing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i wrote wrong bin doesnt have standing water. Everything is working fine except water doesnt freeze going over the freeze plate and fan is not turning on. I will get model number whne i return home. I dnt have a volt-ohm meter. Not sure about auxiliry pump

Ok Yes get me the model number that way I will at least know whit icemaker you have .

And can you tell if the compressor is also working or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like it is. Its warm to the touch

Ok if you have removed the evaporator thermistor the control should divert the icemaker mode to a timed cycle ,when the water is being circulated over the evap plate is the water getting cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No its not. Its cool. It was when i first removed it but then last nite it stayed cool and never frooze. The fan would never kick on

Now I realize if the condenser fan is not running the compressor may not be running long enough for you to tell if the water is getting cold or not!

Ok so we need a meter to be able to say yes the fan motor is getting voltage to run or no it is not getting voltage ,

The only other thing you can do is just replace the motor and see if it then runs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Ill get a voltage meter. And message you with model number later

Noe I have no problem with just replacing the part ,but I also have to tell you we have a %05 chance it is not a fan motor issue and it would be a control board issue.

Ok sounds great on the meter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.

ok Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model number is ***** Brand kitchenaid make superba
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I came home and plug it in to get a reading and the fan is now running. But i am hearing a buzzing noise like trying to turn compressor on and the a pop and buzz goes away. Few minutes later it will repeat itself

Ok I believe your model number is ***** KUIA15NLHS5 ,, S5 on the end.

Ok the buzzing ,pop is telling me that the compressor is trying to start( buzzing)

And the (pop) is the overload opening because it got warm,because the compressor did not start just trying to .

So that tells me that the compressor is getting voltage but that either the compressor is bad ,or it is just so hard to start the the overload get hot and open the compressors electrical circuit before it can start.

This may mean that the compressor will have to be replaced .

The good news is that is covered for parts for 5 years but not labor ,labor was only 1 year.

So how old is the unit?

The second just hard to start normally means the Relay overload has gotten week and will need to be replaced.

To do the next test you will need to remove the icemaker from it location to be able to gain access to the compressor electrical terminal .

To be able to ohm the compressor winding inside the compressor.

Is this some thing you feel you can do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its not under warranty anymore. Yes i think i can do that if you tell me what to do. I had been doing my research and was wondering it was the start relay and overload. There is some corrosion or something on the side of the compressor where the overload is. I have easy access to the compressor and a voltage meter, so i can test tonite. Just let me know what i need to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The compressor is warm to touch, not cold. I had read that meant compressor wasnt bad but couldnt start. Dont know if that is true.

It can be a bad compressor if it will not start also!!

Ok we do not need to test for voltage be cause we know it is getting voltage by it`s buzzing and pop!

So you will need to turn the unit off By unplugging it at the outlet or turning the breaker OFF .

Note: just turning it off on the controls is NOT enough!1

With it unplugged remove the relay and overload off of the compressor and you will need to ohm out the three terminal winding lugs to each other looking for resistance on each to each other.

no specific value just resistance .

If the compressor does have resistance we can assume it is good .

But that may not be correct.

If the windings show resistance it can still be locked up / stuck internally and the compressor would need to be replaced.

A service technician would test the compressor amperage draw (amount of amperage it is pulling when trying to start to be ale to tell if the compressor was good or not ,

But most home owners do not have a Amperage meter to be able to test this.

So if the windings do have resistance the only thing we can do is replace the relay and overload and the see if the compressor will start.

The two (overload and start relay ) would cost approx $50.00 to test and see if it will then start and run.

Let me know what you find and if you need part numbers I can also give you that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was getting resistance from the compressor. i had alot of corrosion on the start relay and a little on the overload.
also when i opened up the start relay the inside was corroded pretty bad. also i gently shock it and i could hear something rattling inside. i dont know if that is normal or not.I ordered a new relay and overload and i will install them when they get in to see if that corrects the problem. If not i think i can safely assume it was the compressor and will need to replace it or buy a new one.

The relay should not have anything loose inside it .

and resistance on all terminal to each other is a good thing also .