Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The disposal is still making a loud metal on metal sound. I

Customer Question

The disposal is still making a loud metal on metal sound. I looked all around the inside of the disposal and see nothing out of the ordinary. The thing spins freely.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

All you can do is run the unit with the faucet on and throw down some ice cubes to see if it stops the noise. If not, then the blades are just getting loose or wobbling when spinning fast and the disposal would need to be replaced because it's worn out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would say that is unlikely because the disposal so seldom used and there was no metallic noise last use. What do you think the ice cubes will do
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The ice cubes will either knock out something if there is something inside, or sometimes it straights out a blade if it has bent out of shape somewhat. Either way, whether you think it's unlikely or not---as a technician we don't guess based on what we think can happen. We see things fail in the first day or week or month of being used, so we just follow the process much as I'm telling you to do and based on yoru results, that tells you what's wrong.