Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a frigidaire model phs66ejsbo with water leaking from

Customer Question

Larry, I have a frigidaire model phs66ejsbo with water leaking from the freezer. It appears that the drain is clogged. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You are exactly right. This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the screws going into the lower back panel and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tyler, the line does not seam to be frozen and when I pour the water down there seams to be a gap between the line and the tray so the water pours directly to the bottom of the freezer. Where does the drained water go anyways?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

This means that your water line IS frozen or clogged at the very least if it's not draining down below the freezer. you can pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel to see the drain hose and clean it out from behind if you'd like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that. Thanks!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK good luck!