Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a front load Kenmore Model 11042832200 bought in 2003

Customer Question

Hello, I have a front load Kenmore Model *********** bought in 2003 which has worked well until the last couple of weeks. A very loud banging noise when spinning, and the noise is present during the washing cycle as well, just much softer as the drum is turning so much more slowly. I have looked online, and everything from an easy fix to a "death knell". I am pretty handy, and could investigate with instructions if this could be sorted out that way. I really would not want to put a lot of money into it but am open to suggestions.
Claire
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If you're getting a banging noise during spin, it means that one of the shocks below the drum is either physically broken, or the support shaft that holds the inner stainless steel drum has a broken arm and the entire inner stainless steel drum would need to be replaced which is about $500 or so. You'll want to remove the screws below the lower front panel so you can inspect the shocks to see if any look broken. if so, then replace the shock. Otherwise, you're going to need a inner inner basket an unless you are incredibly handy, this is something you'd need a technician to replace because the entire tub must be taking out of the washer and then the outer tub split in half so you can replace the inner basket.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try this later today but you did not include cost or if I could do the shock myself. This answer was readily available online so no new info, sorry, but please do not charge my Visa. If it is a shock, I will get back to you for more specific info and be willing to pay for that.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Your card was already charged I'm afraid or you wouldn't be able to ask this question. The shock is usually about $45 and yes you can definitely change this out yourself. If you knew the answer to your question you wouldn't have asked the question so I'm glad I was able to confirm what you may have thought was wrong to begin with but that is not reason to try to stiff someone trying to help you.