Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE P7 self cleaning oven is still running after 12 hours

Customer Question

Hi my GE P7 self cleaning oven is still running after 12 hours - I just reset the breaker hoping that would turn off and it went right back to the cleaning cycle. Please help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Is it actually heating or do you just hear the fans running and the door is still locked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's hot and the door is locked
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK then unfortunately the door latch isn't your issue, if it's continuing to run after 12 hours you just have a bad main control board. Whether the element relay on the board is stuck so it's heating up the oven and refusing to open the door since it's heating still or the logic in the board is just corrupted---the entire display board would need to be replaced to resolve the issue.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok but what do I do right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turn off the breaker?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, just turn the breaker off for now until the part can be replaced and that'll keep you from burning the house down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I chose to turn the knob off clean and let oven cool down.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK, if that turns the heat off then you don't have a stuck relay at least.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that seemed to have shut the cleaning process down the oven is cooling. Wil get it checked out before attempting to use self clean option again! Thanks!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

no problem and good luck to you.